WhyHunger’s Hungerthon Campaign Aims to End Hunger
– 34thannual awareness month and fundraising drive launches November 1 –
New York (October 30, 2019)—WhyHunger— a leader in the movement to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food in the U.S. and around the world—will kick off its 34thannual Hungerthon drive on November 1. The multifaceted campaign, which runs through the holiday season, raises critical funds for the fight to end hunger and helps spread awareness that hunger is a solvable problem.
The campaign brings together celebrity supporters including Yoko Ono Lennon, Carlos Santana, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Morello, Mickey Factz and Frzy among others, and radio partners including SiriusXM and Entercom New York stations and their digital platforms for a month of action and awareness building.
“I’m thrilled to once again be a part of the time-honored tradition of Hungerthon to help support sustainable solutions for combatting hunger and achieving a just food system. Hunger is a solvable problem, and with the support and participation of individuals throughout this year’s campaign, we will be one step closer to combating the hunger epidemic at large and ensuring everyone’s right to nutritious food,” said Yoko Ono Lennon.
Hungerthon engages public participation throughout the holiday season in various ways including:
- Hungerthon Merchandise: Supporters are encouraged to visit hungerthon.org and make a donation in exchange for signature gifts from celebrities including a Bruce Springsteen Hungry Heart t-shirt and zip hoodie, Carlos Santana “Supernatural” scarf and John Lennon “Imagine There’s No Hunger” t-shirt and knit blanket, among others. (Images and more information available upon request).
- Charity Auctions: An extensive celebrity-driven online auction through CharityBuzz will include many hot ticket items and experiences including:
- Autographed guitars from Drive-By-Truckers, Kenny Loggins, Tedeschi Trucks Band and Tom Morello
- Guest DJ experience with SiriusXM Hosts and Channels
- Meet & Greet with CBS Evening News Anchor Norah O’Donnell
- Sports experiences with the NY Giants, NY Yankees, NFL Today, NY Mets, NY Red Bulls
- Tickets to James Corden and Stephen Colbert
- Hungerthon-on Air: On Tuesday, November 26th, WhyHunger will host its annual Live Hungerthon Day via its radio partners at Entercom New York on stations including: WFAN Sports Radio 66 & 101.9 FM, WCBS Newsradio 880, 1010 WINS, 101.1 WCBS-FM, ALT 92.3, NEW 102.7, New York’s Country 94.7. Live broadcasts feature interviews, auctions for unique experiences, exclusive Hungerthon merchandise and more. Donations are accepted online at hungerthon.org or via the volunteer-staffed phone room (1-800-5-HUNGRY). The Live Hungerthon day has been supported by Entercom New York stations since 1985.
“Hunger isn’t just a holiday problem, but it’s certainly a time for compassion and action. We need to question the current systems in place – from the wage gap to the food charity model—to ensure that access to healthy and nutritious foods is a basic human right, not a privilege. Hungerthon is an opportunity to encourage everyone to join the fight to strike at the root cause of hunger and end it once and for all,” said Noreen Springstead, executive director at WhyHunger. “Thank you to all of our partner organizations, ambassadors and contributors for helping us to pave the path ahead. We look forward to what we hope will be the most successful campaign to-date.”
Since launching over three decades ago, Hungerthon has raised millions of dollars in the fight to end hunger and invest in community-driven solutions to build social justice for all. To find out more information and support this year’s Hungerthon, visit Hungerthon.org and follow the conversation on social media via #Hungerthon.
Hunger in America by the Numbers:
- Hunger impacts more than 37 million Americans, or 1 in 9 people.
- Hunger impacts more than 11 million children, or 1 in 7 children in the U.S.
- Nearly 1 in 7 households with children cannot buy enough food for their families.
- 1 million Americans lived in poverty in 2018.
Founded in 1975 by the late Harry Chapin and radio DJ Bill Ayres, WhyHunger believes a world without hunger is possible. We provide critical resources to support grassroots movements and fuel community solutions rooted in social, environmental, racial and economic justice. A four-star rated charity by Charity Navigator, with highest ratings for excellence in fiscal management accountability and transparency, WhyHunger is working to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food in the U.S. and around the world. 86 cents of every dollar raised goes directly to programmatic work. Learn more at whyhunger.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: SIRI) is the world’s largest audio entertainment company, and the premier programmer and platform for subscription- and advertising-supported audio products. With the recent addition of Pandora, the largest streaming music provider in the U.S., SiriusXM reaches more than 100 million people with its audio products. For more about the new SiriusXM, please go to: SiriusXM.com.
About Entercom Communications Corp.
Entercom Communications Corp. (NYSE: ETM) is a leading American media and entertainment company reaching and engaging over 170 million people each month through its premier collection of highly rated, award winning radio stations, digital platforms and live events. As one of the country’s two largest radio broadcasters, Entercom offers integrated marketing solutions and delivers the power of local connection on a national scale with coverage of close to 90% of persons 12+ in the top 50 markets. Entercom is the #1 creator of live, original, local audio content and the nation’s unrivaled leader in news and sports radio. Learn more about Philadelphia-based Entercom at www.entercom.com, Facebook and Twitter (@Entercom).