Cuts to nutrition assistance for struggling families are unacceptable. You can help: Here’s the latest Farm Bill action from our friends at Half in Ten.
Funding for supplemental nutrition assistance—a vital support for low-income families and children—is on the chopping block. Next week the House of Representatives will debate the Farm Bill, which includes nearly $21 billion in catastrophic cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP (formerly food stamps), causing millions of low-income children and families struggling with hunger to see their food assistance cut, or to lose their benefits entirely—a loss of 8 billion meals.
We must take action. We cannot let this happen.
Here are two ways you can take action:
- On Tuesday, June 18, is a National Call-In Day. Call your Member of Congress to express your opposition to the Farm Bill and the $20.5 billion in cuts to SNAP. Call the toll-free hotline at 866.527.1087 to be connected to your Member of Congress.
- Send an email to your member of Congress telling them that cuts to SNAP are unacceptable.
The House Farm Bill will:
- Cause 2 million individuals to lose their SNAP benefits entirely
- Cause 210,000 children to lose access to free school meals
- Cause 850,000 households to see their benefits cut by an average of $90 per month
- Slash nutrition-education funding, which helps low-income families stretch limited resources to maximize nutrition
Take action and contact your Representative today: House Farm Bill proposing $21 billion in SNAP cuts is unacceptable! //bit.ly/10ie636 @HalfinTen
We need your help to take action to help families put food on the table. Now is the time to stand up for vulnerable families!