– 35th holiday awareness and fundraising drive kicks off October 19-
New York (October 20, 2020)— With 1 in 6 Americans projected to experience hunger by the end of the year, amplified by the impact of COVID-19, participating in WhyHunger’s 35th Hungerthon drive is more crucial than ever. A leader in the movement to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food in the U.S. and around the world, WhyHunger’s multifaceted fundraising campaign launched today and runs through the holiday season.
Now through December 31, a donation to hungerthon.org moves the needle beyond charity to strike at the root causes of hunger, getting people the nutritious food they need now and investing in long-term solutions that tackle urgent human needs through social, racial and economic justice.
The Hungerthon 2020 holiday campaign consists of:
- Celebrity, Radio and Business Partnerships: Radio partners at Entercom New York and SiriusXM, nationally, as well as celebrity supporters including Yoko Ono Lennon, Billy Joel, Kenny Loggins, Tom Morello, FRZY, Molly Tuttle, Jesse Colin Young, MJ Songstress, Niko Brim, Sean McConnell and JoJo Brim, raise funds and awareness to invest in real solutions to end hunger and ensure everyone has the right to nutritious food. Additional partnerships include activations with sponsors Vitafusion Gummy Vitamins, ADX Foundation/VME (Virtual Music Entertainment) and On The Move.
- Charity Auctions & Merchandise Offerings: Consumers can bid on unique auction items and priceless experiences donated by musicians, athletes and celebrities through Charitybuzz starting in November. Additionally, signature WhyHunger merchandise, including exclusive John Lennon “Imagine There’s No Hunger” and Billy Joel items, are available as a gift with your Hungerthon donation.
- Live Hungerthon Day: On November 24, WhyHunger will host its annual Live Hungerthon Day via radio partners at Entercom New York on stations including: WFAN 101.9 FM/660 AM (WFAN-FM/AM), WCBS 880 (WCBS-AM), 1010 WINS (WINS-AM), WCBS-FM 101.1 (WCBS-FM), ALT 92.3 (WNYL-FM), NEW 102.7 (WNEW-FM), and New York’s Country 94.7 (WNSH-FM). Live broadcasts feature interviews, auctions, exclusive Hungerthon merchandise and more. Donations are accepted online at hungerthon.org or via the volunteer-staffed phone room (1-800-5-HUNGRY). Entercom New York has supported WhyHunger’s Live Hungerthon Day since 1985.
- Thanksgiving Virtual Race: On November 26, through charity app RunforGood.org, individuals can participate in a nationwide virtual Race to Give Thanks on Thanksgiving Day where they can run, walk or cycle 5.4 miles (in solidarity with the 54 million Americans who are food insecure) and raise funds to support Hungerthon. Registration will begin on October 26 at Hungerthon.org/Race.
“COVID-19 has greatly exacerbated food insecurity rates, and the social injustices that have long existed at the root of hunger, from racism to the lack of a living wage. Hunger is a solvable problem, and we urge you to participate in this year’s campaign to help tackle the urgent human need for access to nutritious food,” said Noreen Springstead, executive director at WhyHunger. “From donating to participating in our virtual Race to Give Thanks to learning and spreading the facts about hunger in America, there are many ways individuals can get involved and give back. We are honored and humbled to kick off Hungerthon 2020, working with dedicated partner organizations and celebrities to become one step closer to ending hunger and ensuring everyone’s right to food.”
Hunger in America by the Numbers:
- 54 million Americans, or 1 in 6, will struggle with food insecurity this year—an increase of 19 million from 2019.
- 18 million children, or nearly 1 in 4, will struggle with food insecurity in 2020.
- Even before the COVID -19 pandemic, more than 39.4 million people – greater than 12% of the population – were living in poverty in the U.S.
Available to anyone in need, the WhyHunger Hotline at 1-800-5-HUNGRY and the Find Food database helps veterans, seniors, families and food insecure individuals find food in their neighborhoods as well as government programs like SNAP year around and in times of crisis. In 2020, WhyHunger is projected to help connect over 1 million people in the U.S. to nutritious food.
Since launching over three decades ago, Hungerthon has raised millions of dollars in the fight to end hunger and invest in community-driven solutions to build social justice for all. To find out more information and support this year’s Hungerthon, visit hungerthon.org and follow the conversation on social media via #Hungerthon.
Founded in 1975 by the late Harry Chapin and radio DJ Bill Ayres, WhyHunger believes a world without hunger is possible. We provide critical resources to support grassroots movements and fuel community solutions rooted in social, environmental, racial and economic justice. A four-star rated charity by Charity Navigator, with highest ratings for excellence in fiscal management accountability and transparency, WhyHunger is working to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food in the U.S. and around the world. 86 cents of every dollar raised goes directly to programmatic work. Learn more at whyhunger.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
About Entercom Communications Corp.
Entercom Communications Corp. (NYSE: ETM) is the #1 creator of live, original local audio content in the U.S and the unrivaled leader in local radio sports and news. Home to the nation’s most influential collection of podcasts, digital and broadcast content, and premium live events and experiences, Entercom engages over 170 million consumers each month. Available on every device in every major U.S. market, the company delivers the industry’s most compelling live and on-demand content and experiences from voices and influencers its communities trust and love. Entercom’s robust portfolio of assets and integrated solutions offer advertisers today’s most engaged audiences through targeted reach, brand amplification and local activation—all at national scale. Learn more at www.entercom.com, Facebook and Twitter (@Entercom).
Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: SIRI) is the leading audio entertainment company in the U.S., and the premier programmer and platform for subscription and digital advertising-supported audio products. Pandora, a subsidiary of SiriusXM, is the largest ad-supported audio entertainment streaming service in the U.S. SiriusXM and Pandora’s properties reach more than 150 million listeners, the largest addressable audience in the U.S., across all categories of digital audio – music, sports, talk, and podcasts. SiriusXM’s acquisitions of Stitcher and Simplecast, alongside industry-leading ad tech company AdsWizz, make it a leader in podcast hosting, production, distribution, analytics and monetization. SiriusXM, through Sirius XM Canada Holdings, Inc., also offers satellite radio and audio entertainment in Canada. In addition to its audio entertainment businesses, SiriusXM offers connected vehicle services to automakers. For more about SiriusXM, please go to: www.siriusxm.com.