36th Annual Fundraising Holiday Campaign and Drive Raises Over $920,000
New York (January 25, 2022) — Today, WhyHunger— a leader in the movement to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food in the U.S. and around the world— announced another successful year for its 36th annual Hungerthon campaign, which raised over $920,000 to support true solutions to hunger and build social justice for all.
The message of Hungerthon hit the airwaves at Audacy New York, nationally via SiriusXM, and at iHeartMedia New York engaging listeners and raising funds. Celebrity supporters like vitafusion Gummy Vitamins Ambassador Tiffany Haddish, Yoko Ono Lennon and Bruce Springsteen lent their voice to this critical issue, and the public participated through radio broadcasts, auctions, social media and thousands of small dollar donations to help ensure everyone’s human right to nutritious food.
Highlights from WhyHunger’s multifaceted holiday fundraising and awareness campaign included:
- Radio partners at Audacy New York, SiriusXM and iHeartMedia New York hosted live broadcasts featuring exclusive interviews on topics such as hunger & health, the root causes of hunger, women in food justice and COVID-19’s impact on hunger, while raising funds through auction items, donation drives and social media engagement.
- On November 23rd, WhyHunger hosted a record-breaking annual Live Hungerthon Day via radio partners at Audacy New York raising over $400,000 on stations including: WFAN Sports Radio 101.9 FM & 660 AM (WFAN-FM/AM), WCBS Newsradio 880 (WCBS-AM), 1010 WINS (WINS-AM), 101.1 WCBS-FM (WCBS-FM), ALT 92.3 (WNYL-FM) and NEW 102.7 (WNEW-FM).
- Corporate donations included matching gifts from vitafusion Gummy Vitamins, Casamigos Tequlia and support from VNATION!.
- Supporters bid on unique auction items and experiences donated by renowned musicians, athletes and celebrities through Charitybuzz. Top selling items included:
- an autographed Bruce Springsteen guitar;
- virtual co-host with SiriusXM’s The Highway with Storme Warren;
- fly-away to attend a 2022 Luke Combs stadium show;
- the chance to sit-in on WFAN’s Boomer and Gio Show;
- guitar autographed by Bob Weir; and
- the chance to broadcast with John Sterling & Suzyn Waldman plus 4 Tickets to a Yankees Game.
- Donors took home signature WhyHunger gifts, including an exclusive John Lennon “Imagine There’s No Hunger” Tee and Tie-Dye Scarf, a Bruce Springsteen “The Rising” Hoodie and Tee, and a Vintage Harry Chapin Tee.
“At a time when so many are struggling in various ways, it is humbling to see such an outpouring of support during this year’s Hungerthon campaign. No matter the donation size, large or small, each contribution made an impact to help those struggling with food insecurity,” said Noreen Springstead, executive director at WhyHunger. “We are so fortunate to have the continued support of all involved – from our radio partners, to our celebrity ambassadors and corporate sponsors. From everyone at WhyHunger – thank you for helping us make this year’s campaign a continued success. Your support of our mission will help strike at the root causes of hunger and solve hunger for good.”
Founded in 1975 by the late Harry Chapin and radio DJ Bill Ayres, WhyHunger believes a world without hunger is possible. We provide critical resources to support grassroots movements and fuel community solutions rooted in social, environmental, racial and economic justice. A four-star rated charity by Charity Navigator, with highest ratings for excellence in fiscal management accountability and transparency, WhyHunger is working to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food in the U.S. and around the world. 90 cents of every dollar raised goes directly to programmatic work. Learn more at whyhunger.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
About Audacy New York
Audacy, Inc. (NYSE: AUD) is a leading multi-platform audio content and entertainment company with the country’s best collection of local music, news and sports brands, a premium podcast creator, major event producer, and digital innovator. Audacy engages 200 million consumers each month, bringing people together around content that matters to them. Learn more at www.audacyinc.com, Facebook (Audacy Corp) and Twitter (@AudacyCorp).
Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: SIRI) is the leading audio entertainment company in North America, and the premier programmer and platform for subscription and digital advertising-supported audio products. SiriusXM’s platforms collectively reach approximately 150 million listeners, the largest digital audio audience across paid and free tiers in North America, and deliver music, sports, talk, news, comedy, entertainment and podcasts. Pandora, a subsidiary of SiriusXM, is the largest ad-supported audio entertainment streaming service in the U.S. SiriusXM’s subsidiaries Stitcher, Simplecast and AdsWizz make it a leader in podcast hosting, production, distribution, analytics and monetization. The Company’s advertising sales organization, which operates as SXM Media, leverages its scale, cross-platform sales organization and ad tech capabilities to deliver results for audio creators and advertisers. SiriusXM, through Sirius XM Canada Holdings, Inc., also offers satellite radio and audio entertainment in Canada. In addition to its audio entertainment businesses, SiriusXM offers connected vehicle services to automakers. For more about SiriusXM, please go to: www.siriusxm.com.
About iHeartMedia New York
iHeartMedia New York owns and operates WHTZ-FM, WKTU-FM, WAXQ-FM, WWPR-FM, WLTW-FM, WOR-AM, WWRL-AM, and is part of iHeartMedia. iHeartMedia, Inc. [Nasdaq: IHRT] is the leading audio media company in America, reaching over 250 million people each month. It is number one in both broadcast and digital streaming radio as well as podcasting and audio ad tech and includes three business segments: The iHeartMedia Multiplatform Group; the iHeartMedia Digital Audio Group; and the Audio and Media Services Group. Visit iHeartMedia.com for more company information.