While politicians recklessly propose cuts to destroy many of the basic living standards that help working and middle class families get ahead when times are tough or wages aren’t enough, anxiety rises for the already struggling families questioning their safety across the country. Now that summer is here and school is out, for millions of families, the stress multiplies. Summertime means hunger time for the over 21 million children in the U.S. who rely on free and reduced priced school meals during the rest of the year. Every child needs healthy, daily meals to continue learning and growing over the summer. That’s why WhyHunger is once again kicking off our Summer Meals Rock for Kids campaign!
In this critical time when basic necessities, like healthy food for families and children, are on the government’s chopping block, we must capitalize on our existing resources to take a stand and protect our children’s access to healthy food. The USDA’s Summer Food Service Program provides free, nutritious meals to kids at local centers across the U.S., but only 15% of eligible children participate, often due to a lack of awareness and information on where to find summer meals sites. Therefore, WhyHunger’s Summer Meals Rock for Kids campaign distributes information to families across the country to connect them with local resources and prevent hunger. With the largest database of emergency food providers and summer food sites in the country, we can fight the summer spike in childhood hunger and help more kids get the healthy food they need. We need your help to spread the word about these programs to ensure that all children have access to safe, healthy meals when school lets out.
Now more than ever, we must take action to make sure our children have the food they need this summer to grow, learn and thrive.
To find your closest Summer Food Service Program summer meals site:
• Call the WhyHunger Hotline at 1-800-5HUNGRY (1-800-548-6479) for service in both Spanish and English. The hotline is open Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 6:00pm EDT]
• Text “summer” and your zip code to 1-800-548-6479 to get a location within minutes
• Visit whyhunger.org/summermealsearch to find a site online.
And here’s how you can help:
• Donate to support WhyHunger's Hotline and online database.
• Spread the word to your network and community by downloading and distributing flyers in English and Spanish at your local community centers, schools and libraries
• Add graphics to your blog, website or social media accounts with #SummerMealsRock
You can find these materials and more at: whyhunger.org/summermeals. Thank you for making a difference this summer!