This holiday season, give the gifts that not only give back, but also specifically make a difference in the fight against hunger and poverty with WhyHunger’s Top 10 List. Once again, we are happy to share a list of our staff’s favorite items that support WhyHunger and our valued partners. There’s something for everyone, happy gift giving!
1. Bring in the New Year with the ONEHOPE Celebration Pack Gift Box of sparkling brut. This festive bubbly has refreshing notes of crisp green apple, lime zest and white pear and each box contains two champagne flutes and a confetti tube. Every gift box provides 15 meals. Order online today. $49.00
2. God’s Love We Deliver in NYC works at the intersection of hunger and health, delivering millions of nutritious meals to those with life-altering illnesses. You can help them and get a gift for the cook in your family by purchasing a set of 4 heart-shaped stainless steel measuring spoons! Get them here. $10.00
3. Celebrate 30 years of Hungerthon with this commemorative t-shirt. This black tee celebrates all the years of Hungerthon in white and red and is a must-have for any WhyHunger supporter, so get yours today before it’s gone! $50.00
4. For the newest member of your family, grab a onesie that supports Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard (the Hub) in Bloomington, IL. The Hub works to increase access to healthy, whole foods and by providing opportunities to build self-reliance. Their programs include a client-choice food pantry and free educational programs on nutrition and gardening. This adorable onesie featuring their logo is available for $16.79 in various colors.
5. For the bookworm, pick up “Food First: Selected Writings From 40 Years of Movement Building” that highlights the breadth and depth of the organization’s published works, addressing issues such as hunger, international trade, US foreign policy, the Green Revolution, agroecology, land reform, food and farm workers’ rights, climate justice and food sovereignty. Buy the book. $20.00
6. This is one sweet tune! HAIL Fredonia Records, a student run record label at Fredonia University, produced an exclusive rendition of the Original Badfinger song “Sweet Tuesday Morning” performed by members of Ladies First of Hail! Fredonia Records, Savannah King and Mary Ramsey (vocalist of 10,000 Maniacs), and featuring Badfinger’s Joey Molland to benefit WhyHunger. The song is available now exclusively on iTunes, download it today! $0.99
7. Give to our “Imagine There’s No Hunger” campaign with Yoko Ono Lennon and Hard Rock International by snagging these cool rubber bracelets in white, black, red, blue or green for your family and friends, or check out our new Imagine tee, all to fight childhood hunger worldwide Visit your favorite Hard Rock property or order here. $2.00 each.
8. Support family farms through cheese! Delicious Fair Trade Cheese made in Plain, WI and available through Family Farm Defenders support domestic fair trade production and help keep WI family farmers on the land. Purchase here. Price varies, per pound. (This cheese is so good it made the list again this year!)
9. Join the movement and break the chains of oppression and exploitative practices against farm laborers. This mug with a color-changing black handle features artwork form the film “Food Chains” which exposed the injustice Florida farmworkers face. Get it here and help continue to fight for workers’ rights and improved working conditions with the CIW. $13.99
10. Perfect to brighten up any room is the “Food For All” poster that benefits the National Farm to School Network, which works to empower children and their families to make informed food choices while strengthening the local economy and building community. The artwork for this poster was collaboratively created during a National Farm to Cafeteria Conference, led by artist Bonnie Acker. Buy today. $22.99
Our friends at the National Family Farm Coalition wanted to share even more great gift ideas, view here.
Still not sure what to get? You can always make a donation in honor of your loved one to your favorite local community-based organization. The holidays are a time for giving and giving back – so no matter what is on your list this year, make sure to take some time to support and thank those folks in your community who are making a difference. And don’t forget share! Please use the comments section to add your favorite gifts that give back to the list.