NEW YORK, NY—WhyHunger’s Hungerthon tradition kicks off today, after a record-breaking year raising $1.1 million to help end hunger in America, the campaign once again taps into the power of radio personalities, listeners, celebrities and fans to multiply its impact over two months of activation. Each fall, WhyHunger teams up with its radio partners and celebrity ambassadors to raise awareness about hunger and poverty and to engage the public through radio broadcasts, merchandise, social media and an extensive celebrity-driven online auction. Funds raised are invested in community-driven solutions to hunger that transform and last.
“We believe that nutritious food is human right and hunger is a solvable problem,” said Noreen Springstead, WhyHunger Executive Director. “There is power in community, and Hungerthon is the perfect time to come together, take action and make a difference in the fight against hunger. With the help of the community and radio partners, like CBS Radio New York, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, Cumulus New York and iHeartMedia, we can continue our work to help more families access healthy, affordable food and advance social justice.”
2017 Hungerthon Ambassadors Tom Morello, Michael McDonald, Kenny Loggins, Jon Batiste, Southside Johnny, Mark Weiss and KWL Management’s Jojo Brim are using their public platforms to educate and engage their fans as they help raise awareness and funds for the campaign.
“The power of music to fuel social change is in WhyHunger’s DNA and Hungerthon is a beautiful example of that power in action,” said Hillary Zuckerberg, WhyHunger Artists Against Hunger & Poverty Director. “We could not be more thrilled to be working with our 2017 Hungerthon Ambassadors to continue this important tradition and to offer incredible merchandise honoring some legendary artist activists, like the Bruce Springsteen, John Lennon and Harry Chapin.”
With over 41 million Americans struggling with hunger, WhyHunger asks everyone to join the campaign. Here’s how to take action and get involved:
- Visit Hungerthon.org this fall and make a donation to receive signature gifts that give back including a John Lennon “Imagine” Scarf, Bruce Springsteen “Land of Hope & Dreams” Tee and Baseball Cap, Harry Chapin “Do Something” Tee, 2017 Hungerthon Tee, 2017 Hungerthon Full-Zip Hooded Sweatshirt and WhyHunger Layering Necklaces & Charms.
- Spread the word and join the conversation on social media using the #Hungerthon and #GiveThanksgiving hashtags.
- Tune in to Hungerthon on CBS Radio New York, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, Cumulus New York, and iHeartMedia to hear from celebrity ambassadors, grassroots leaders and community organizers who are building solutions to end hunger in America.
Starting Nov 7th, visit www.charitybuzz.com/hungerthon to bid on exclusive auction items including autographed memorabilia and celebrity experiences. Included among the many items that will be up for bidding in this year’s Hungerthon are:
- Yamaha Guitar signed by James Taylor, Jimmy Buffett, & Sarah McLachlan
- Jets vs. Chiefs Club tickets and Pre-Game Field Passes at MetLife Stadium
- Les Paul Guitar Autographed by Prophets of Rage
- Autographed Indiana Jones Score Signed by Composer John Williams
- Lunch with Master Career Strategist Ken Kragen
- 2 tickets to see Billy Joel on December 20th at MSG + Guitar Signed by Billy
- 4 Pre-Game Field Passes to Giants game at MetLife Stadium + signed Eli Manning Helmet
- The World According to Kids Video Shoot by McKay Williamson
Additional Hungerthon auction items and events will be announced soon. Visit Hungerthon.org for updates.