Celebrity auctions and experiences, radio partnerships, musician merchandise and more help raise critical funds to end hunger for good
New York (November 1, 2022)— With nearly half of Americans worried about feeding their households due to inflation and rising costs of food, their fears are exacerbated during the holiday season. To help strike at the root causes of hunger and fuel long-term solutions that create social, racial and economic justice, WhyHunger – a leader in the movement to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food in the U.S. and around the world – today launched its 37th annual Hungerthon fundraiser and awareness drive.
Since launching over three decades ago, Hungerthon has raised millions of dollars in the fight to end hunger and invest in community-driven solutions to build social justice for all. The multi-faceted campaign that runs through the holiday season consists of:
- Celebrity, Radio and Business Partnerships: Hungerthon radio collaborators including Audacy New York, SiriusXM and iHeartMedia New York, as well as celebrity supporters including Yoko Ono Lennon, Bruce Springsteen and more, will raise funds and awareness through Hungerthon to help end hunger for good.
- Charity Auctions & Merchandise Offerings: Supporters can bid on unique auction items and experiences donated by renown musicians, athletes and celebrities through Charitybuzz starting on November 15th. Additionally, signature WhyHunger gifts, including an exclusive John Lennon “Imagine There’s No Hunger” knit set and Tee, Bruce Springsteen “From My Home to Yours” Tee, Zip-Hoodie or Bandana and more are available with a Hungerthon donation.
- Live Hungerthon Day: On November 22, WhyHunger will host its annual Live Hungerthon Day via radio partners at Audacy New York on stations including: WFAN 101.9 FM & 660 AM (WFAN-FM/AM), WCBS 880 (WCBS-AM), 1010 WINS (WINS-AM/92.3 FM), 101.1 WCBS-FM (WCBS-FM) 94.7 The Block (WXBK-FM) and NEW 102.7 (WNEW-FM). Live broadcasts will feature interviews, auctions, Hungerthon merchandise and more. Donations are accepted online at Hungerthon.org or via the volunteer-staffed phone room.
“Hunger in America continues to be an all-too-common reality. As so many individuals and families struggle to make ends meet, they are now faced with rising costs of goods and inflation, making impossible choices between food, transportation, housing and medicine. No one should be forced into this type of economic hardship, as access to healthy and nutritious food is a basic human right not a privilege,” said Noreen Springstead, executive director at WhyHunger. “The problem isn’t a lack of food though. It’s much more systemic. From a lack of a living wage to corporate strongholds on our food system, the root causes of hunger need to be addressed.”
According the WhyHunger 2022 Hunger and Food Insecurity Survey:
- 83% of Americans say the U.S. should declare food as a basic human right.
- 49% of Americans know someone who has experienced hunger in the past year.
- 47% of Americans report worrying about being able to feed themselves and their families due to rising costs of groceries and inflation.
- 46% of Americans say if they were to face hunger or food insecurity they would not have adequate knowledge of food assistance programs to seek help.
- 35% of Americans feel they are not getting adequate nutrition because there is not enough money to regularly afford nutritious food.
“Hungerthon is more important than ever to help raise critical funds to provide immediate relief and long-term solutions to the hunger epidemic that so many communities face. We’re grateful for our dedicated radio partners, celebrity supporters, sponsors and all those who contribute to this year’s campaign for their steadfast support in helping aid our mission in ending hunger for good,” added Springstead.
Funds raised from WhyHunger’s Hungerthon are invested in community-led solutions to hunger across the U.S. that are nourishing people in immediate need and re-shape how we grow, pick, consume and celebrate food. To find out more information and support this year’s Hungerthon, visit Hungerthon.org and follow the conversation on social media via #Hungerthon and #GiveThanksgiving.
If you or someone you know needs help, call the WhyHunger Hotline at 1-800-5-HUNGRY, text your ZIP Code to 1-800-548-6479 or visit WhyHunger.org/FindFood to get connected to local emergency food providers like food pantries or soup kitchens across the U.S.
Founded in 1975 by the late Harry Chapin and radio DJ Bill Ayres, WhyHunger believes a world without hunger is possible. We provide critical resources to support grassroots movements and fuel community solutions rooted in social, environmental, racial and economic justice. A four-star rated charity by Charity Navigator, with highest ratings for excellence in fiscal management accountability and transparency, WhyHunger is working to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food in the U.S. and around the world. 91 cents of every dollar raised goes directly to programmatic work. Learn more at whyhunger.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Audacy, Inc. (NYSE: AUD) is a leading multi-platform audio content and entertainment company with the country’s best collection of local music, news and sports brands, a premium podcast creator, major event producer, and digital innovator. Audacy engages 200 million consumers each month, bringing people together around content that matters to them. Learn more at www.audacyinc.com, Facebook (Audacy Corp) and Twitter (@AudacyCorp).
Audacy New York includes WFAN 101.9 FM & 660 AM (WFAN-FM/AM), WCBS 880 (WCBS-AM), 1010 WINS (WINS-AM/92.3 FM), 101.1 WCBS-FM (WCBS-FM), 94.7 The Block (WXBK-FM) and NEW 102.7 (WNEW-FM).
Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: SIRI) is the leading audio entertainment company in North America, and the premier programmer and platform for subscription and digital advertising-supported audio products. SiriusXM’s platforms collectively reach approximately 150 million listeners, the largest digital audio audience across paid and free tiers in North America, and deliver music, talk, news, comedy, entertainment and podcasts. SiriusXM offers the most extensive lineup of professional and college sports in audio. Pandora, a subsidiary of SiriusXM, is the largest ad-supported audio entertainment streaming service in the U.S. SiriusXM’s subsidiaries Stitcher, Simplecast and AdsWizz make it a leader in podcast hosting, production, distribution, analytics and monetization. The Company’s advertising sales arm, SXM Media, leverages its scale, cross-platform sales organization, and ad tech capabilities to deliver results for audio creators and advertisers. SiriusXM, through Sirius XM Canada Holdings, Inc., also offers satellite radio and audio entertainment in Canada. In addition to its audio entertainment businesses, SiriusXM offers connected vehicle services to automakers. For more about SiriusXM, please go to: www.siriusxm.com.
iHeartMedia New York owns and operates WAXQ, WHTZ, WKTU, WLTW, WWPR, WOR and WWRL, and is part of iHeartMedia. iHeartMedia, Inc. [Nasdaq: IHRT] is the leading audio media company in America, reaching over 90% of Americans every month. iHeart’s broadcast radio assets alone have more consumer reach in the U.S. than any other media outlet; twice the reach of the next largest broadcast radio company; and over four times the ad-enabled reach of the largest digital only audio service. iHeart is the largest podcast publisher according to Podtrac, with more downloads than the next two podcast publishers combined and has the number one social footprint among audio players, with seven times more followers than the next audio media brand, and the only fully integrated audio ad tech solution across broadcast, streaming and podcasts. The company continues to leverage its strong audience connection and unparalleled consumer reach to build new platforms, products and services. Visit iHeartMedia.com for more company information.