WhyHunger— a leader in the movement to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food in the U.S. and around the world—today announced its 34th annual Hungerthon campaign raised over $1 million for the 4th year in a row. The time-honored campaign resulted in unprecedented awareness and critical funds for community-driven efforts to solve hunger and build social justice for all.
Hungerthon hit the airwaves at Entercom New York stations and their digital platforms, and nationally via SiriusXM engaging listeners, fans and celebrity supporters. The public participated through radio broadcasts, merchandise, social media and an extensive celebrity-driven online auction hosted on Charitybuzz.com.
Highlights from Hungerthon include:
- Celebrity support from Yoko Ono Lennon, Carlos Santana, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Morello, Mickey Factz and FRZY among others.
- SiriusXM offered over 70 auction packages to support the campaign, including in-studio visits and guest DJ opportunities on The Beatles Channel, The Hoda Show on Today Show Radio, E Street Radio, The Highway and more, while featuring interviews about Hungerthon on their various channels, including conversations with Senator Patrick Leahy and Artist Against Hunger & Poverty ambassador FRZY.
- Live “Hungerthon Day” on November 26, an all-day broadcast event via its radio partners at Entercom New York on stations including: WFAN (WFAN-AM/FM), WCBS 880 (WCBS-AM), 1010 WINS (WINS-AM), WCBS-FM 101.1 (WCBS-FM), ALT 92.3 (WNYL-FM), NEW 102.7 FM (WNEW-FM), and New York’s Country 94.7 (WNSH-FM). Programming featured Hungerthon interviews with Artist Against Hunger & Poverty ambassador Tom Chapin and Governor Phil Murphy, among others, as well as auctions, merchandise and more, raising a record breaking $285,108 for the one-day event.
- Popular auction items included: Guest DJ on SiriusXM’s Lithium with Madison in NYC, Autographed Bruce Springsteen Guitar, Billie Eilish Meet & Greet with 2 Tickets to Her Show Plus Roundtrip Airfare and Accommodations, and a visit to Entercom New York studios in New York City to watch a live broadcast of WFAN morning show “Boomer and Gio.”
- The Hungerthon Roast, the fourth annual event featuring notable advertising and media executives, raised $170,000.
“Access to affordable, nutritious food is a basic human right, not a privilege. It is a gross injustice that more than 37 million Americans are facing food insecurity when there is an overabundance of food in this country.” said Noreen Springstead, executive director at WhyHunger. “Hungerthon is more important than ever to help provide funds and education surrounding the hunger epidemic our nation is facing and its root causes. I’d like to thank all of this year’s participants and partners for their contributions and ongoing support. The sheer number of individuals that contributed to this campaign, joining our radio partners to fuel solutions, gives me hope that together, we can end hunger for good.”
To learn more about WhyHunger’s work or to make a donation, visit www.whyhunger.org.