WhyHunger Hosts 38th Annual Hungerthon Campaign and Drive
Celebrity Auctions and Experiences, Radio Partnerships, Musician Merchandise and More Help Raise Funds to End Hunger in America During the Holiday Season
NEW YORK— November 1, 2023 — WhyHunger announced today the annual Hungerthon fundraiser and awareness drive returns for its 38th year. Conceived and hosted by WhyHunger – a non-profit working to end world hunger and the injustices that cause it – the annual, multifaceted campaign runs now through the holiday season, and has raised millions to tackle the root causes of hunger and invest in community driven solutions that ensure nutritious food for all.
The 2023 WhyHunger Hungerthon campaign consists of:
- Radio and Ambassador Partnerships: Hungerthon’s long-time radio partners including SiriusXM, Audacy New York, and iHeartMedia New York, as well as celebrity supporters including Yoko Ono Lennon and Bruce Springsteen, will help amplify the message of Hungerthon and raise critical funds to fuel solutions.
- Charity Auctions: Supporters can bid on elite auction items and experiences from celebrities, musician and athletes at Charitybuzz starting on November 14.
- Celebrity Merchandise: Signature Hungerthon merchandise make great holiday gifts. This year’s merchandise includes a John Lennon Imagine There’s No Hunger Pullover Hoodie and Tee, a Bruce Springsteen “Darkness on the Edge of Town” Tee and Hat, and a vintage Hungerthon Tee, and more, and will be available as a gift with your donation at Hungerthon.org, with all proceeds supporting WhyHunger’s work.
- Live Hungerthon Day (November 21): On November 21, WhyHunger will host its annual live Hungerthon Day via radio partners at Audacy New York on stations including: WFAN (WFAN-FM/AM), WCBS 880 (WCBS-AM), 1010/92.3 WINS (WINS-AM/92.3 FM), 101.1 WCBS-FM (WCBS-FM), 94.7 The Block (WXBK-FM) and NEW 102.7 (WNEW-FM). Live broadcasts feature interviews, auctions, Hungerthon merchandise and more. Donations are accepted online at Hungerthon.org.
- Amplified: A Hungerthon Kick Off Concert: The inaugural concert kicks off Hungerthon on November 1, at Brooklyn Bowl in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, tapping into the transformative power of music.
“Food is one of the most basic human rights, and eating should not be an everyday emergency any time of the year,” said Jenique Jones, executive director at WhyHunger. “This holiday season, we must center humanity and realize that together, we have the power to tackle the underlying causes of hunger. A donation to Hungerthon moves the needle beyond food charity to support community-led solutions that protect everyone’s right to food and equip people to nourish themselves. We are grateful for our radio partners, celebrity ambassadors and Hungerthon supporters for their dedication and unwavering commitment to helping end hunger for good.”
Donations raised through WhyHunger’s Hungerthon help connect people with nourishing food and provide funding, training, and other resources to grassroots organizations that are working to end hunger and its root causes across the U.S. For more information and support this year’s Hungerthon, visit Hungerthon.org and follow the conversation on social media by following #Hungerthon.
Hunger in America:
- 44 million Americans, including more than 13 million children struggle with hunger.
- Black (22.4 percent) and Latinx (20.8 percent) households are impacted by food insecurity rates far above the national average of 12.8%.
If you or someone you know needs help, call the WhyHunger Hotline at 1-800-5-HUNGRY, text your ZIP Code to 1-800-548-6479 or visit WhyHunger.org/FindFood to get connected to local emergency food providers like food pantries or soup kitchens across the U.S.
Founded in 1975 by the late Harry Chapin and radio DJ Bill Ayres, WhyHunger funds and supports community solutions to protect the human right to food. In nearly five decades of innovation and evolution, our programs and our grassroots partners in 24 countries have expanded agricultural practices that are better for the planet, helped communities address the root causes of hunger, and ensured access to nutritious food for millions of people. As a grassroots support organization, we stand behind the leadership of the people most impacted by hunger and injustice. We prioritize providing resources to support the rights of communities who have been historically excluded from defining and controlling their food systems. We advocate for workers’ rights and champion agroecological food production that unites science and sustainability with Indigenous knowledge and wisdom. Together we can build socially and economically just food systems that nourish all people and the environment. Learn more at whyhunger.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram.
About Sirius XM Holdings Inc.
SiriusXM is the leading audio entertainment company in North America with a portfolio of audio businesses including its flagship subscription entertainment service SiriusXM; the ad-supported and premium music streaming services of Pandora; an expansive podcast network; and a suite of business and advertising solutions. Reaching a combined monthly audience of approximately 150 million listeners, SiriusXM offers a broad range of content for listeners everywhere they tune in with a diverse mix of live, on-demand, and curated programming across music, talk, news, and sports. For more about SiriusXM, please go to: www.siriusxm.com.
Audacy, Inc. is a leading multi-platform audio content and entertainment company with the country’s best collection of local music, news and sports brands, a premium podcast creator, major event producer, and digital innovator. Audacy engages 200 million consumers each month, bringing people together around content that matters to them. Learn more at www.audacyinc.com, Facebook (Audacy Corp), X (@AudacyCorp), LinkedIn (@Audacy-Inc) and Threads (@AudacyCorp).
About iHeartMedia New York
iHeartMedia New York owns and operates WWPR-FM, WHTZ-FM, WKTU-FM, WAXQ-FM, WLTW-FM, WOR-AM, New York’s Black Information Network, WWRL-AM, and is part of iHeartMedia. iHeartMedia, Inc. [Nasdaq: IHRT] is the leading audio media company in America, reaching over 90% of Americans every month. iHeart’s broadcast radio assets alone have more consumer reach in the U.S. than any other media outlet; twice the reach of the next largest broadcast radio company; and over four times the ad-enabled reach of the largest digitalonly audio service. iHeart is the largest podcast publisher according to Podtrac, with more downloads than the next two podcast publishers combined and has the number one social footprint among audio players, with seven times more followers than the next audio media brand, and the only fully integrated audio ad tech solution across broadcast, streaming and podcasts. The company continues to leverage its strong audience connection and unparalleled consumer reach to build new platforms, products, and services. Visit iHeartMedia.com for more company information.