WhyHunger’s 38th Annual Hungerthon Campaign Concludes, Raising $1 Million to End Hunger
Multifaceted Holiday Campaign and Drive Celebrates Support from Consumers, Celebrities, Radio Partners and More
New York (January 22, 2024) — Today, WhyHunger – a non-profit working to end world hunger and the injustices that cause it — announced the success of their Hungerthon campaign, which raised over $1 Million. Donations raised through WhyHunger’s Hungerthon help connect people with nourishing food and provide funding, training, and other resources to grassroots organizations that are working to end hunger and its root causes across the U.S.
This year’s Hungerthon campaign consisted of support from long-time radio partners including Audacy New York, SiriusXM and iHeartMedia New York, celebrity supporters, including Yoko Ono Lennon and Bruce Springsteen, and thousands of donors who contributed funds, bid on auction lots and shared the message of Hungerthon on social media.
Additional highlights of this year’s Hungerthon campaign included:
- Unique auction items and experiences donated by top celebrities and musicians on Charitybuzz. Top items included:
- Guest DJ virtually on SiriusXM's 1st Wave with Host Richard Blade & Receive Personalized Autobiography;
- Guest DJ on SiriusXM's Classic Vinyl with Rachel Steele in Cleveland, OH;
- Guest DJ on SiriusXM's ‘60s Gold in NYC or Virtually;
- Photo opportunity and sit-in on a “Jeff Lewis Live” show on SiriusXM’s Radio Andy;
- Bruce Springsteen Autographed 1952 Fender Reissue Telecaster Guitar;
- Co-Host the Al & Jerry Postgame Podcast on WFAN with Al Dukes & Jerry Recco in NYC; and
- Vespa with autographed seat by Kelly Clarkson, Jelly Roll, David Guetta, Kim Petras and more provided by iHeartMedia New York.
- The live Hungerthon Day via radio partners at Audacy New York on stations including: WFAN (WFAN-FM/AM), WCBS 880 (WCBS-AM), 1010/92.3 WINS (WINS-AM/92.3 FM), 101.1 WCBS-FM (WCBS-FM), 94.7 The Block (WXBK-FM) and NEW 102.7 (WNEW-FM). The daylong pre-Thanksgiving event featured live broadcasts, interviews, auctions, matching gifts and more.
- Signature WhyHunger gifts, including a John Lennon Imagine There’s No Hunger Pullover Hoodie and Tee, a Bruce Springsteen “Darkness on the Edge of Town” Tee and Hat available at org.
- The inaugural Amplified: A Hungerthon Kick Off Concert, which tapped into the transformative power of music with Eric Krasno & Friends featuring Ivan Neville, Tony Hall and Nikki Glaspie with special guests Celisse, Matisyahu, Emily King, Molly Tuttle and Robert Randolph, at Brooklyn Bowl in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
“We’re incredibly grateful for another successful Hungerthon campaign. This time-honored holiday tradition would not be possible without the steadfast support of our radio and celebrity partners, alongside the thousands of supporters who gave their hard-earned money to support our work. Food is a basic human right and thanks to this year’s campaign we are one step closer to making this framework a reality for all,” said Jenique Jones, executive director at WhyHunger.
Founded in 1975 by the late Harry Chapin and radio DJ Bill Ayres, WhyHunger funds and supports community solutions to protect the human right to food. In nearly five decades of innovation and evolution, our programs and our grassroots partners in 24 countries have expanded agricultural practices that are better for the planet, helped communities address the root causes of hunger, and ensured access to nutritious food for millions of people. As a grassroots support organization, we stand behind the leadership of the people most impacted by hunger and injustice. We prioritize providing resources to support the rights of communities who have been historically excluded from defining and controlling their food systems. We advocate for workers’ rights and champion agroecological food production that unites science and sustainability with Indigenous knowledge and wisdom. Together we can build socially and economically just food systems that nourish all people and the environment. Learn more at whyhunger.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram.
Audacy, Inc. is a leading multi-platform audio content and entertainment company that connects with 200 million consumers. Powered by its exclusive, premium audio content that includes unrivaled leadership positions in news and sports radio, Audacy operates one of the country’s two scaled radio broadcasting groups, a rapidly growing direct-to-consumer digital audio platform, multiple audio networks, a major event business and a leading, award-winning podcast studio. Learn more at www.audacyinc.com, Facebook, X, LinkedIn, Instagram and Threads (@AudacyCorp).
About Sirius XM Holdings Inc.
SiriusXM is the leading audio entertainment company in North America with a portfolio of audio businesses including its flagship subscription entertainment service SiriusXM; the ad-supported and premium music streaming services of Pandora; an expansive podcast network; and a suite of business and advertising solutions. Reaching a combined monthly audience of approximately 150 million listeners, SiriusXM offers a broad range of content for listeners everywhere they tune in with a diverse mix of live, on-demand, and curated programming across music, talk, news, and sports. For more about SiriusXM, please go to: www.siriusxm.com.
About iHeartMedia New York
iHeartMedia New York owns and operates WWPR-FM, WHTZ-FM, WKTU-FM, WAXQ-FM, WLTW-FM, WOR-AM, New York's Black Information Network, WWRL-AM, and is part of iHeartMedia. iHeartMedia, Inc. [Nasdaq: IHRT] is the leading audio media company in America, reaching over 90% of Americans every month. iHeart’s broadcast radio assets alone have more consumer reach in the U.S. than any other media outlet; twice the reach of the next largest broadcast radio company; and over four times the ad-enabled reach of the largest digitalonly audio service. iHeart is the largest podcast publisher according to Podtrac, with more downloads than the next two podcast publishers combined and has the number one social footprint among audio players, with seven times more followers than the next audio media brand, and the only fully integrated audio ad tech solution across broadcast, streaming and podcasts. The company continues to leverage its strong audience connection and unparalleled consumer reach to build new platforms, products, and services. Visit iHeartMedia.com for more company information.